Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Why I run.

Just a warning to those of you who read this. Some may find this boring, others may like it, and yet others may even be so bored out of their mind that they don't care either way. I shall now proceed.

For the most part, I enjoy talking to the people who surround me. Typically, my friends, acquaintances, and people who "see me running around town" all strike-up enjoyable conversations. However, there is always one question that bothers me, that being: "Why do you run?". It's not that it is an outright stupid question, rather, it is just too generalized, and the answer cannot be explained in as simple a manner as the question is stated. Certainly there are other simple questions such as Why do you breathe? or Why do you eat? that can be answered simply: I do these things to survive. However, running is not something that I do to survive. Obviously, running is something that I have chosen to do. Although, contrary to popular belief, I don't run just because I think it is fun. To me, running is a lot more than just fun or winning (though winning is quite an enjoyable experience). I believe that running is something that can not only enable a person to be a better athlete or attain a higher level of fitness, but it can also serve to better the person as a whole. This point is exemplified even more if the person is working towards some type of goal. Because for a runner to become better, they must deal with pain to get to the next level. Percy Cerutty, a famous Australian track coach, once said: "You only grow as a human being if you're outside your comfort zone." Distance running is made up of continuous and repetitive motion; in fact, it is basically an analogy or model for how one can live a successful life. It's not whether someone tries and gives up, or for that matter, does not even start. It is all about staying focused and waiting it out until whatever the person desires to attain or excel at is accomplished. "Continuous effort -- not strength or intelligence -- is the key to unlocking our potential. ~ Lian Cardes

The benefits of running do not stop there. The most obvious benefit of running is definately it's ability to drastically improve a person's health and fitness. After all, how often do you hear about a competitive runner or recreational marathoner dying of a heart attack at age 40? Oh sure, there are definately knee and muscle problems that might act up as a runner gets older. But personally, I'd take those problems over triple-bypass surgery anyday.

Every person has something that helps them relax, to think, or to just escape from everything around them. It may be music, computer games, TV, driving, or a number of other things. Personally, I enjoy music quite a bit. I find it to be a great aide for relaxing. However, running is what I like to do whenever I need to think about something bothering me. Thus, running is sort of an active meditation for me. When I run, I find I am able to think about whatever is on my mind much more clearly, without any outside disturbances. Plus, if something is troubling me, running can act as a productive stress reliever (running does not hurt as much as punching a wall or locker; and it's better for your health).

So there you have it, my reason(s) for why I run. There are more, and the answers I gave are still a little vague; but, I'd like to get a little bit of reaction from those of you that read this before (or if I should) continue. ~Rich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home