Thursday, April 20, 2006

Seeing red again...

So Tuesday I had a 6-page book review due over Theodore White's Thunder Out of China. The book is basically a firsthand account of the happenings of China from 1937-45, a period in which China was engaged in civil war, World War II, and civil war yet again. I must say that the book was arguably the best I have read in months. Not only did I find this read to be highly informative, it was also depressingly thought-provoking when one connected the dots. I believe that most of us understand just how ruthless Mao Tse-Tung became after assuming the Chair of the PRC, but when Chiang Kai-Shek was in control of China, he wasn't exactly the friendliest guy either. Lack of free-press, suspension of habias-corpeus, secret police, and executions without out trial for suspected communists were just a few of Chiang's hobbies. The situation in China during this period is so disturbing to me because it really didn't matter what the outcome of the war was, the Chinese people were going to suffer immeasurably. How depressing is it that one could only choose between Chiang's fascism or Mao's communism? What would you do?

Speaking of communism, a couple of weeks ago Marx was the hot topic in my Humanities class. Once the debate started raging, one of my fellow classmates argued that communism does work in some countries. I asked where and he told me North Korea. "North Korea," I said, "aren't their citizens eating grass to survive?" End game. Anyway, I was browsing the web today and came across this site. Just remember, ignorance is curable... read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home